Wednesday, May 18, 2022

Announcing New and Transplanted Friends of the Court

 As “The Great Resignation” continues, the Friend of the Court Bureau would like to introduce new or transplanted directors. Transition is never easy, but the circuit courts’ friend of the court (FOC) offices are in good hands under these new leaders.

Natalie Dean

Family Division Administrator, Friend of the Court, 36th Circuit Court, Van Buren County

Education and experience:

Bachelor of Arts in Computer Mediated Communication, Spring Arbor University

Master of Public Administration, Central Michigan University

Previously as a municipal government employee, I worked to strengthen teams using diversity, equity, and inclusion and emotional intelligence principles, wrote and administered grants, led a human resources department, and worked with the public on strategic and comprehensive plans.

Interests and activities:

I love to sail; we own a 19’ Cape Dory sailboat. I also really enjoy yoga, raising kids, traveling, and debating politics with my husband.

What motivates you about your job?

My new team motivates me! It’s very rewarding to work in an environment where everyone is very engaged and passionate about the work they do. It became clear to me on my first day that my team doesn’t come to work “just for a paycheck.” 

What is your favorite quote?

“There comes a point where we need to stop just pulling people out of the river. We need to go upstream and find out why they’re falling in.” – Bishop Desmond Tutu

Sarah Mathews

Friend of the Court Director; Circuit/Probate/Family Court Administrator, 43rd Circuit Court, Cass County

Education and experience:

Bachelor of Arts in Political Science, Hope College

Juris Doctor, Thomas M. Cooley Law School 

Prior to being appointed as the Director for the Cass County Friend of the Court in December of 2021, I served as the Deputy Friend of the Court, OnBase System Administrator, and as a back-up referee for the Cass County Friend of the Court for four years. Previously, I served as an Assistant Prosecuting Attorney (APA) for the Cass County Prosecutor's Office, where I held various assignments including Family Court APA and Child Support Division APA. Additionally, I had my own private law practice where I specialized in domestic relations cases and abuse and neglect cases. During my time in private practice, I served as the City Attorney for the City of Dowagiac. I also taught as an adjunct instructor at Thomas M. Cooley Law School and Southwestern Michigan College.

Interests and activities:

I enjoy watching Hallmark movies, rock climbing with my family, and writing plays for local charity events (when I have time).

What motivates you about your job?

I have always firmly believed it takes a village to raise a child and have seen firsthand the dedication that the residents of Cass County, as well as the staff in the Cass County Friend of the Court, have to creating a strong community that serves and cares for its families and children. Being part of this larger purpose of building the village our children need to thrive is what motivates me to do my best every day as the FOC Director. 

What is your favorite quote?

“You can complain because rose bushes have thorns or rejoice that thorn bushes have roses. It's all how you look at it.” - J. Kenfield Morley

Jessica Robison

Friend of the Court Director, 42nd Circuit Court, Midland County

Education and experience:

Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, Central Michigan University

Juris Doctor, Michigan State University College of Law

Prior to joining the Midland County Friend of the Court in June of 2019 as the Assistant Director/Referee, I worked in private practice, focusing on family law, estate planning, and administration. On February 2, 2022, I was appointed as the Director of the Midland County Friend of the Court.

 Interests and activities:

I love animals and have an English bulldog named Porky. I enjoy spending time with my family and friends. 

What motivates you about your job?

Working in the area of family law gives lawyers an opportunity to help people through some of the hardest times in their lives. It is motivating to know that you have an opportunity to look out for children's best interests and keep them protected to the best of our ability. The impact that attorneys, judges, and FOC employees have on families navigating the legal system is great, and that motivates me to do my best to get to the right/best end result.

What is your favorite quote?

“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.” - Maya Angelou