Monday, January 8, 2024

Michigan Family Support Council Annual Conference: Thoughts from a First-time Attendee

 By Lisa Harris, Management Assistant, Friend of the Court Bureau

The ride up to the Michigan Family Support Conference (MFSC) at Boyne Mountain Resort was so beautiful and refreshing!  My lungs were filled with the fresh up-north air while I squinted as the bright sun peeked through the clouds, watching as the contrast of fall-colored leaves appeared the farther north we drove.  I was so full of excitement, but also nervousness. I was presenting that afternoon at 3:15 pm and had signed up to help with registration before that. I was chatting on the ride up with my co-worker, Liz, and enjoying the scenery so much that I had almost forgot I was soon going to stand in front of 40 of my child support colleagues, and hoped not to bumble every word of my presentation. 

Needless to say, I survived the presentation and think it went well. I’m so glad I didn’t have to present alone. I got to present Motivational Interviewing with friends and colleagues Amy Lindholm and Jessica Castenada.

Thursday, I didn’t have any presentations, and just got to take it all in. This is my second year with the Friend of the Court Bureau, but my first time at the MFSC, and my first time at Boyne Mountain. The entire week I was in awe of how friendly and helpful all the attendees/program partners were with each other.  Everyone was constantly smiling, laughing, and engaged in conversations. It wasn’t just polite co-worker banter either, everyone was discussing program-related information, concepts, and exchanging ideas. There was an excitement in the air that was, simply stated, contagious. All the presentations were informative and helpful, while the themes made them even more entertaining and engaging. Themes included Harry Potter, Taylor Swift, Monty Python’s Holy Grail, and cruises. I saw people coming out of trainings with hats, leis, candy, and prizes. How fun!

I appreciated each of the plenary speakers and panels, especially the fun-filled and inspirational presenter, Dane Wysocki, a child psychologist who kicked off the conference at the first plenary on Wednesday discussing brining humor into the workplace. I worked at the registration desk with Amy Gilmore, the president of Michigan Family Support Council, who had the registration process flowing as smooth as silk (even with the incorporation of the new “Whoova” application, which seemed to go well). I saw Kristina Buehrer, secretary of the Central Regional Board, everywhere, selling 50/50 tickets, and never far from the silent auction, which raised funds for Camp Quality, an organization that serves children with cancer by providing year-round programs and experiences. I felt excited and proud to be a part of a conference that regularly supports such amazing charitable children’s organizations with donations from their members, donors, and attendees. I’m hoping to find donations in my area for next year’s silent auction. 

The conference experience included extra-curricular activities such as Bingo, Sip-N-Paint, a caricature artist, a campfire with s’mores, a photo booth, and so much more. I loved that there was a musical band of child support workers that performed during hospitality hours, and a child support worker technician who DJ’d after the band wrapped up. I really enjoyed the engagement of the “Whoova” app, which kept track of all of the presentations and activities, and it was super easy for checking people in, as well as keeping track of lost and found.

Overall, my experience was great. I wasn’t surprised the presentations were all wonderful and that the MSFC team was helpful and organized. I have to admit, I’m pleasantly surprised by all the child support workers coming together not only to learn from sessions, and have fun with each other; but also, to share ideas and hopes to grow and improve the child support program and systems. People weren’t just networking, they were sharing ideas, and were excited to implement them in their offices. The readiness and ease with which everyone donated financially to this year’s charitable organization, Camp Quality was truly inspiring. My heart was renewed and my excitement for the future was reborn by each and every board member, presenter, volunteer, and attendee. The collaboration of everyone’s huge hearts and hard work has truly renewed the pulse of the Michigan Child Support System, and I already can’t wait for next year!