Friday, July 26, 2019

Announcing New Friends of the Court

By Friend of the Court Bureau

There have been many new faces in friend of the court leadership over the past couple years. A few of the newest directors provided some information about themselves to help everyone in the Michigan child support program get to know them better.

Erin Lincoln

Friend of the Court/Deputy Court Administrator – Family Domestic Section
3rd Circuit Court, Wayne County

Education and experience:
  • Bachelor’s Degree in Sociology with a minor in German, University of Michigan
  • Juris Doctorate, Wayne State University
I started working at the Friend of the Court as a staff attorney on June 2, 2008. I worked as a supervisor of our legal department starting in December 2012, and became Legal Director/Assistant Friend of the Court in September 2013. I became the Interim Friend of the Court in September 2018, and was confirmed by the bench in December 2018. I worked in private practice doing collections and civil litigation for approximately a year and a half before joining the FOC.
 
Interests and activities:
I have three kids at home, two boys and a girl (ages 9, 6, and 3), who keep me quite busy when I’m not at work. I also am a Jazzercise instructor and teach four classes a week; I’ve been doing that since 2002.

What motivates you about your job?
My opinion is that the strength of family units is central to our strength as a society.  The fact that our office does so much to help the children and families in Wayne County is really what motivates me on a day-to-day basis.  Also, the passion and drive of the amazing staff we have in Wayne County is a motivating factor for me.

What is your favorite quote?
“Life’s most persistent and urgent question is, ‘What are you doing for others?’” – Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.


Jean-Paul (“J.P.”) Rudell

Friend of the Court/Attorney Magistrate
1st Circuit Court, Hillsdale County

Education and experience:

  • Bachelor’s Degree, University of Michigan
  • Juris Doctorate, Rutgers, The State University School of Law

I previously worked in the New Jersey child support program, first as assistant county counsel for Essex County, followed by work as a principal probation officer with the Administrative Office of the Courts of New Jersey.  After moving back to Michigan, I worked for the Delta County Friend of the Court, first as friend of the court attorney and then as friend of the court director.  Subsequent to these experiences in family law, I founded my practice primarily in child protection and criminal and juvenile law.

Interests and activities:
I am a member of the Access to Justice Initiative with the State Bar of Michigan and otherwise enjoy spending my free time with my two dogs. I really enjoy my current dual role of Friend of the Court and attorney magistrate because it allows me to use both my knowledge of the friend of the court system and my criminal law skills to improve the lives of fellow members of my community.  I always maintain my profession as an attorney, but my vocation is helping people.


Jennifer Kamps

Friend of the Court
48th Circuit Court, Allegan County

Education and experience: 

  • Bachelor’s Degree in Psychology, Michigan State University
  • Juris Doctorate, Western Michigan University-Cooley Law School and Arizona Summit Law School

I have worked for the Allegan County Friend of the Court for just over six years, with the first five years spent serving as the attorney/referee and IV-D Establishment Attorney.  Before coming to the friend of the court, I worked for a domestic violence agency and as a law clerk for the 48th Judicial Circuit Court. 

Interests and activities:
I currently serve on the Board of Directors for the Allegan County Legal Assistance Center, and I am active in a number of groups, such as the Allegan County Coordinating Council on Domestic Violence, the Lakeshore Alliance Against Domestic and Sexual Violence, the Allegan County Bar Association, the Courthouse Safety and Security Team, and the Allegan County Customer Service Team. I enjoy spending time with family and friends, and have recently picked up playing pickleball.
   
What motivates you about your job? 
I am motivated by a desire to change the negative perceptions many people have about friend of the court.  In Allegan County, we are working to educate our litigants and community resources on how our office operates, with the hope of improving access to the court system. 

What is your favorite quote?
“Be strong enough to stand alone, smart enough to know when you need help, and brave enough to ask for it.” – Ziad K. Abdelnour


Brittany Dougherty

Friend of the Court
10th Circuit Court, Saginaw County

Education and experience: 

  • Bachelor’s Degree, Central Michigan University
  • Juris Doctorate, Charlotte School of Law

Following law school, I clerked for 10th Circuit Court Judge Frederick Borchard before accepting a position at the Saginaw County Friend of the Court. I have worked for the Saginaw County Friend of the Court since 2014 and held the positions of staff attorney, referee, and as of November 2018, director.

Interests and activities: 
I am a member of the Great Lakes Bay Region Women Lawyers Association, Saginaw Chamber Young Professionals Network, and the Saginaw County Bar Association. I am an avid traveler and animal lover.  In my free time, I like to stay active by hiking and playing soccer, volleyball, and tennis.

What motivates you about your job?
I am passionate and motivated every day to improve our processes to better serve the public. My primary goal this year is to increase access to our office by implementing new avenues of communication with our staff. There is nothing more motivating and rewarding than being in a position to implement positive change in my community.

What is your favorite quote?
“I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do.” ― Edward Everett Hale