Friday, December 2, 2022

Fojtik Retires from Kent County Friend of the Court

Director Daniel J. Fojtik, of the Kent County Friend of the Court, announced his retirement effective August 30, 2022. He has given many years of service to the State of Michigan.

What was your path to Friend of the Court Director?

Originally, I worked as a referee in Ottawa County during the ‘90s. Back then, we were independent contractors with no benefits. When my first daughter was a year old, a friend told me there was a position open as staff attorney for the Kent County Friend of the Court. I jumped on that and had the privilege of serving in that position for 16 years.  After a short stint as a referee, I was given the opportunity to come back as director in November 2015.

Fojtik's early years at FOC
What changes have you seen during your tenure?

During my years as staff attorney, we were all about support enforcement and were probably a bit too rigid. During my tenure as director, I’ve noticed that things seem to be going too far the other way through the erosion of some of our discretionary enforcement remedies. We could probably have a spirited debate about this, but I think the concept of personal responsibility isn’t a thing that it once was. Ideally, we should come to the middle, and that is my hope for the future.

 What are your most satisfying accomplishments?

Back in the good old days we were doing Financial Institution Data Match liens before the Central Enforcement Unit took over (they do a great job by the way). My most satisfying accomplishment is tied to the motions that I filed against Bank of America and Wells Fargo to honor those liens, which they were stubbornly refusing to do. They “lawyered up” on me, but we ultimately prevailed. Those banks have been complying with those liens for many years since then.

I am also pleased with the restructuring of our office, which included partnering with the sheriff to rebuild our Warrant Department and creating our Resources for Parents Program. 

What advice do you have to offer your FOC colleagues and your future successor?

Focus on our statutory duties, respect everyone, and stay humble. 

What are your retirement plans?

I have a lot of projects lined up around the house that will keep me busy. Also, I’ve always wanted to be a writer and will try my hand at that for a while. If those aren’t enough to keep me busy, I plan on ramping my running back up to a respectable level and may try another marathon or two. My wife and I also rediscovered Europe this past June by visiting Portugal and Spain, so travel is definitely on the agenda.